Hong Kong Sports Institute
fidelity award: Silver
SPORTS AND FACILITIES
- Tier A Sports – Athletics, Badminton*, Billiard Sports, Cycling*, Equestrian, Fencing, Gymnastics, Karatedo, Rowing, Rugby Sevens, Sailing, Skating, Squash, Swimming, Table Tennis*, Tennis, Tenpin Bowling, Triathlon, Windsurfing*, Wushu.
*Badminton, Cycling, Table Tennis and Windsurfing, whose athletes have consistently performed well at the international arena and have the potential to achieve medals at the Olympic Games, are selected as Tier A* sports and receive additional resources for enhanced training programmes.
- Tier B Sports – Contract Bridge, Dance Sports, Dragon Boat, Golf, Judo, Kart, Lawn Bowls, Life Saving, Mountaineering, Orienteering, Roller Sports, Shuttlecock, Taekwondo.
- Tier A Sports (Para Sports) – Para Badminton (Physical Disability), Boccia (Physical Disability), Para Table Tennis (Physical Disability), Wheelchair Fencing (Physical Disability), Para Swimming (Intellectual Disability), Para Table Tennis (Intellectual Disability).
- Tier B Sports (Para Sports) – Para Lawn Bowls (Physical Disability), Para Tenpin Bowling (Physical Disability).
- Team Sports – Baseball, Basketball, Handball, Hockey, Ice Hockey, Softball, Volleyball, Water Polo.
Sport facilities: Facilities include an indoor Sports Complex featuring world standard training venues for badminton, billiard sports, fencing, karatedo, squash, table tennis, tenpin bowling and wushu, and integrated sports facilities for athletes with disabilities; an Athletics Field; an international standard indoor Swimming Complex; a Rowing Centre; and Tennis Courts. Off-site facilities are also provided for other Tier A sports to cater to their specific training needs.
Support services: Operating under a biopsychosocial paradigm, the Hong Kong Sports Institute (HKSI) provides a full range of services for athletes including: coaching, sports science, sports medicine, strength and conditioning, programme support, educational, personal and social development programmes.
Studies arranged, available for athletes in the centre or externally: Athletes can enroll in formal education programmes study externally or join HKSI partnership school programmes for senior secondary education to benefit a greater degree of academic flexibility and can also apply for admission for undergraduate study programmes at the local tertiary institutions for which they have established MoUs with HKSI to provide athletes with a large scope of study support to facilitate their dual career pathways. Additionally HKSI also provides tutorial support, academic planning and advice, education grants, personal and social development programmes for HKSI scholarship athletes internally.
Residence number of beds: With accommmodation for up to 446 athletes, the Athlete Hostel, a 9-storey buidling, is the ideal accommodation for elite athletes. In addition, the hostel has shared communal living rooms, tutorial rooms, athlete common room and athlete learning hub.
ENVIRONMENT (enviromental conditions)